Air fryer chicken cutlets turn out crispy, golden, juicy, and delicious – perfect with veggies, over salads, with pasta, and more.
Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Cutlets
The secret to the best tasting air fryer chicken cutlets, is marinading them quickly with Italian dressing and seasonings before breading and air frying – my family loves them! I also add Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning to the breadcrumbs for extra flavor, so good! For some dinner ideas, serve them with roasted broccoli, over salad, with a side of orzo and zucchini, or with your favorite grain.
I have so many air fryer recipes here, plus two air fryer cookbooks, Skinnytaste Air Fryer Recipes and Skinnytaste Air Fryer Dinners. Chicken cutlets in the air fryer is something make often for dinner!
Why This Works!
- Easy Marinade: Italian dressing makes the chicken moist and flavorful!
- Flavor: Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning adds extra flavor to the breadcrumbs.
- Quick: Dinner ready in under 30, just serve with your favorite side.
- Light: No need to deep fry in oil, the air fryer makes crispy chicken cutlets.
- Less Mess: No splattering oil all over the counter, the mess stays in the air fryer. Then I throw it in the dishwasher!
- Family Loves Them! Picky family approved!
- whole chicken breast: boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half and pounded thin
- seasoning: kosher salt, garlic powder, dry Italian seasoning
- marinade: 1/4 cup Italian dressing or marinade, I used my homemade dressing from Skinnytaste Meal Prep Cookbook, but store bought such as Annie’s will work.
- breading: breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs will also work
- binder: egg, beaten
- olive oil spray
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 4 cutlets.
- Place chicken on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and pound the chicken with a meat mallet to make them each 1/4-inch thick. In a shallow bowl, season with salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and marinade with Italian dressing at least 1 hour (the longer the better).
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Place egg in another shallow bowl. Dip the chicken into the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a work surface and spray both sides with oil.
- In a single layer, in batches if needed transfer the cutlets to the air fryer basket and air fryer 400F 4 minutes until the top is golden, then flip and spray the other side, air fry another 3 to 4 minutes, until golden and cooked through. (Remember, air fryers can vary, so always consult your device’s manual and keep an eye on the food, especially the first time you try a new recipe.)
Although you can make them in the oven, if you don’t have an air fryer I suggest lightly pan frying in a skillet instead.
Yes, breading works well in an air fryer! In fact, air fryers are particularly good at cooking breaded foods, giving them a crispy, golden exterior similar to what you’d expect from traditional deep frying, but with much less oil. You can use traditional breadcrumbs, panko for extra crispiness, or even crushed up cereals or chips for a different texture. Lightly spray the breaded food with some oil spray before air frying. This helps achieve a more golden and crispy result.
To prevent chicken from becoming rubbery in an air fryer, avoid overcooking and ensuring even air circulation by not overcrowding the basket. Also, opt for organic chicken for the best texture.
Your chicken might not be crispy in the air fryer if it’s overcrowded in the basket, preventing proper air circulation. Additionally, a lack of a light oil or cooking spray on the chicken’s surface can hinder achieving a crispy exterior. Ensure the chicken is dry before breading and that the air fryer is preheated for optimal results.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- 2 8-oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- 3/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs, homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, or Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg, beaten
- olive oil spray
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 4 cutlets. Pound to make 1/4 inch thick.
- In a shallow bowl, season with salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and marinade with Italian dressing at least 1 hour (the longer the better).
- Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl. Place egg in another shallow bowl. Dip the chicken into the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a work surface and spray both sides with oil.
- In a single layer, in batches if needed, transfer the cutlets to the air fryer basket and air fryer 400F 4 minutes until the top is golden, then flip and spray the other side, air fry another 3 to 4 minutes, until golden and cooked through.